Saturday, September 10, 2005

Arlen Park cemetery (PUREFOY family (CA. 1837))

Arlen Park cemetery (PUREFOY family (CA. 1837))

A few background mentions:
Southern Village website
Southern Village newsletter (2004)
Chapel Hill News (more history)

Word has it that "Arlen" actually came from a North Carolina pronunciation of "Ireland", and it all relates to the walls in the cemetery, as they were. Here is a piece on Irish stone wall written by a knowledgeable Irish stone mason.

I walked over to the cemeteries. I'm appalled and very angry, partly with myself (for not checking earlier), partly with others.What I found - apart from the wall - is that all those headstones that had been vandalized remain untended. Is there any plan to repair the damage?And then I walked over to the "slave" cemetery area, and I could not even find it in the woods. I was not dressed to get into the bushes, so I only walked around the square. Is no one taking any care of that cemetery?

Has anyone done a map of the two cemeteries showing who is buried where? Best guess....

1 comment:

Flower Powe said...

I completely agree with you. The cemetery is so important to me, yet it seems as if I can do nothing to help. I have tried to fix some of the vandilized graves, but I just don't have the material necessary to permanently fix them. I like to come once and a while to place flowers on the graves, but it is quite melancholy, because the overgrowth there has not been tackled, and neither have the dilapidated graves.