Saturday, November 21, 2009

Hello and Bonjour

I divide my professional and personal time between Southern Village and a quartier of Nice in France called Mont Boron.

The similarities and differences continue to fascinate me.

One of the notable differences, however, seems to be lessening.

In France, as I walk about our hilltop, covered with pines and wild olive trees, I pass a few more - but not many more - people than I pass out walking the sidewalks of Southern Village. When I say hello to someone in France, the reaction is often one of being startled as I do not know the person. Recently, my sense is that this has changed. On my last trip, people seemed to go out of their way to say hello. I don't want to overstate this; most did not, but a few really seemed determined to make the effort to exchange a bonjour.

When we moved to Southern Village ten years ago, we were struck by how friendly people seemed to be...both the native North Carolinians and those of us who had moved to town. Recently, my sense here, too, is that things are changing. When I was out for a walk yesterday and today, one couple - whom I know - barely said hello as I greeted them by name. Several whom I passed seemed not to respond at all to my hi or hello. And most simply mumbled in response. Only a few seemed to be uttering a very friendly response.

So, bravo for France, and less so for Southern Village.

No comments: