Friday, October 15, 2010

Doorhangers

Today, I found a "doorhanger" on our front door from Farm Bureau Insurance, an agent on South Elliott. As a matter of free speech, I don't object to anything anyone wants to say to me.

That said, I find it very bad judgment to put something on front door handles. Many people here travel, and do not always have someone checking their door knobs while they are away.

And so my reaction is that a firm that disregards this risk and says it is in the "home" insurance business needs to rethink that role. I surely would never deal with them.

Again, that's Farm Bureau Insurance, South Elliott Road agent, in case you, too, want to make note of this.

2 comments:

ed team said...

I talked to the man and woman who were hanging these door advertisements and expressed the thought that they should not be doing this on a Friday, since many people might not remove them and it would show that the house might be vacant over the weekend. They seemed to agree and skipped the houses they didn't do yet on my block, but probably continued when out of sight. The fact that it was an insurance company made the action odious, but I think ANY hangers over the weekend put homes at risk. Another risk factor is the attachment of flyers to our mailboxes. They are red flags to people scouting homes to break in to. If we can not ban the practice completely, can we restrict it to Monday thru Thursday? Do we have any rights to restrict attachments to the exterior of our houses? Seems as property owners we should have, and it seems as members of the SVHOA we could develop a restriction to the practice.

Terry MAGUIRE said...

The best way to stop this is for a lot of people to tell the people who leave such things not to do it. It's not the people necessarily who are doing the "hanging", it's the people who answer the phone on whatever is hung. If something is left on the mailbox, you should call the USPS as I believe that is still forbidden, but I do not recall for sure. As for other restrictions, that's a matter for the Chapel Hill Town Council, not Southern Village. Once again, I do not recall if there are any local ordinances addressing this practice.