Thursday, May 15, 2008

Orange County Master Plan

Here is the the text of some brief comments on the proposed Orange County Master Plan that I have submitted:

"I have reviewed the updated version of the Orange County master plan andoffer these brief comments in making three recommendations.

The first is that I do not believe that transportation other thanautomobilies ought to be considered "alternative". Rather, I think thatalltransportation modes ought to be considered on the same basis. Anautomobile is one, a bus another, trains, feet, bicycles, etc. None ismore"equal" than any other.

The second is that I believe we should commit ourselves to having asfullyfunctional a sidewalk network in Orange County as we do one forautomobiles. In other words, if we are going to consider comprehensiveplans for how our automobiles and other vehicles get around the county,weshould do the same for people who choose to walk. The current sidewalkroute throughout the county is abysmal and demands and deserve the samelevel of attention as that given to the road system.

The third is that I do not recall seeing in the document a comprehensivediscussion of energy production and use in the county. Perhaps I justmissed it, but I think any master plan today ought to containinformationon energy consumption and on local energy production. Again, I would notuse the term "alternative". Solar energy production, for example,deservesto be treated in exactly the same way as any other energy we producehere.

Thanks for considering these views."

No comments: